BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
by D.W. Lundberg

Thursday, April 5, 2012

... FOR "THE IRRESISTIBLE POP RHYTHMS OF GOTYE AND 'SOMEBODY THAT I USED TO KNOW'"


An odd post today, since I'm getting irritated with myself for procrastinating so much in between my regular week/two week updates to the site. Also, it's time I started living up to that "And Other Crap" sub-description for FTWW above. So here's the first in a series of sporadic mini-posts for you to mull over/discuss/complain about/whatever while you anxiously await the bigger, better stuff.

I'm warning you now: These really won't amount to much. Just a few short sentences and a video link or two to get some things off my chest - whenever the mood strikes me. Which will hopefully be often.

Today: How about a good old-fashioned music video for your viewing pleasure? More specifically, it's "Somebody That I Used To Know," by Belgian-Australian singer-songwriter Gotye (or "Wally" to his friends), which has been climbing the charts over the last few months both here and abroad. (A Twitter post from Ashton Kutcher, of course, helped a lot.)

If you've heard it, perhaps you too have become addicted to its bass-driven rhythms, pop percussive beats, or its mournful, soulful lyrics. I admit I've gotten obsessed with it over the past weeks (it's been on regular rotation in my Spotify playlist) and the video itself is equally unique.

And, yes, that is a little "Baa Baa Black Sheep" you hear at the beginning:



To be honest, I didn't care much for the sound of it at first. But eventually it grew on me. And grew. And grew. And the way guest vocalist Kimbra comes in for the third verse (for a "he said/she said" sort of synergy) is actually kind of brilliant.

As usual, feel free to agree or disagree with me below, or not to weigh in at all. Now just try to get that song out of your head.

3 comments:

  1. It was you who introduced me to this song and now it serenades my dreams! Addicting? Yes. I had the same reaction as you. Didn't really love it at first but then it stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mike! Always good to give someone something worth obsessing over. For a report on Gotye's impressive rise from indie pop favorite to Billboard chart topper, visit here:

    http://www.billboard.com/news/gotye-s-somebody-that-i-used-to-know-roars-1006798152.story#/news/gotye-s-somebody-that-i-used-to-know-roars-1006798152.story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard it by an A Capella group called Pentatonix. Love both versions...check out PTX on youtube and tell me what you think. (wait a minute...this is your blog :) Congratulations on the new arrival!

    ReplyDelete